Follow Step By Step Method for How to Protect your Computer from Hackers?
Recently the world witnessed a serious ransomware ‘WannaCry’ (also known with names like WanaCrypt0r 2.0, Wanna Decryptor 2.0, WCry 2, WannaCry 2 and Wanna Decryptor 2) which affected some of the world’s big organisations like Britain’s National Health Service, few of the Spain’s largest companies including Telefonica and various Windows computers across Russia, Ukraine and Taiwan. Their data was locked up and held for ransom. Thankfully, the problem was soon detected and stopped, along with Microsoft issuing a patch offering the solution to it. But, the damage that was done was irreversible.
Ransomware or any other malware for that matter, poses a great threat to anyone putting their data online or digitally. The effect is more on those for whom their data is extremely crucial like hospital data, organizational data, and the like. No matter you own an organization or has a lot of personal data saved on your computer, you must know how to protect your computer from hackers and be ready to face such situations with all the fielding set at the right places.
Here are a Few Precautions That You Must Take: –
- Generally, ransomware or hackers try to get into your computer through emails. Thus, it is very important that you do not open any untrustworthy email or open any attachments.
- Get your computer protected with an anti-malware, anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall that offers internet security too.
- Always scan any removable devices before opening its contents.
- Keep your OS updated as outdated programs are more vulnerable towards hacking.
- Erase your personal data completely when you plan to give away or sell your computer.
- Create difficult passwords and change them occasionally. Don’t use passwords that are easy to guess or include your name or any other similar personal information.
- Don’t use open wifi connections. They might pose a major security threat to your computer data by providing a easy passage for hackers to scroll through it.
- Lastly, if you are using Windows XP or older, this might be the right time to buy a new computer as Microsoft no longer provide updates for these OS and you might be at a high risk now.
Knowing how to protect your computer from hackers also include knowing what steps to take if you realize that you have opened something that you shouldn’t have and now worried that your data might be at risk. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Remember these tips.
- Immediately stop using your computer; don’t open any files or run any application. Put your computer on a deep virus scan.
- Quarantine the area that you suspect of having the malware.
- Hackers can creep-in through your browsers too thought various extensions, so uninstall the browser immediately to stop the invasion.
- Some websites like facebook, twitter and Google offer activity log that helps you track any unwanted activity. You must login to these accounts from a different computer and check for any unidentified device using your accounts. You can then remotely logout of all the devices can spare the horror to happen.
In this digital world, it is very important that you know how to protect your computer from hackers as the more convenience you think your computer offers you, the more it makes your personal and crucial data vulnerable. Thus, keeping these tips handy will help you fight the odds of hacking and remain stress-free.